Friday, December 12, 2014

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


I really love the act of cookie baking - sometimes even more than the cookie eating.

Perhaps it's because I have an aversion to drinking milk and lets face it - milk is an integral part of the cookie eating experience.   


Or maybe it's the mental calorie calculation that goes on in my head that stops me from eating too many cookies.  It's a constant battle between: yes, it's worth it and I'll squeeze in extra workout time tomorrow and no, I think I'd rather sleep an extra 15 minutes instead of doing hundreds of sit ups. 


There are days though that reason is thrown out the window and I become a cookie eating machine.  Baking any cookie with dark chocolate is especially dangerous.  (Even without the tall glass of milk.)  I can eat an entire batch of warm chocolate chip cookies so quick it would put even cookie monster to shame. 


When you bake as many cookies as I do though, being a cookie baker instead of a cookie consumer is essential.  I do love the process of cookie baking and I really don't want to have to up-size my entire wardrobe so I will stick to being the baker. (Most of the time.)

These chocolate chocolate chip cookies from mybakingaddiction.com are great for both cookie bakers and consumers.  They are fun to make and delicious to eat.  (Yes, I tried one.) 

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 2/3 cups dark chocolate chips, divided use

1 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with silpats.




In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips on medium power for 30 seconds; stir. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. Continue to microwave and stir in 15 second intervals until chocolate chips are just melted. Set aside.











In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.







In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes.


Add melted chocolate and mix until thoroughly combined.


Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until well blended, about 1 minute.


Add flour mixture, mixing just until blended.


Stir in remaining 1 cup morsels.










Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.









Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until tops have a cracked appearance.


 Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.


It makes me so happy to be able to share my cookies with other people.  I am very fortunate to be able to bake cookies for so many people and I it brings me joy to know that they're are other people who benefit from my cookie baking as well. 


Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment