Monday, November 10, 2014

Autumn Brittle


The colors of Fall are nothing short of spectacular.  Orange and red and yellow just don't seem like adequate words to describe the colors that color the landscape during this glorious season.

If I was a painter, I would probably know the proper color names but since I'm a chef, I just make up my own names for the Fall colors that inspire me.  (Deep amber almond, ruby cranberry and golden pistachio.)  It's all about the food.  Anyone else notice that the leaves on the trees bear a striking resemblance to the color of buttered popcorn drizzled with thick caramel syrup?


 
When I first found this recipe for Autumn Brittle I figured that it's name was derived from the Fall inspired ingredients that went into the candy.  (Pumpkin seeds, almonds, cranberries - all seasonal favorites.)  Once I made it I realized that it not only TASTES like Fall, it LOOKS like Fall!


These are the colors that I just cant seem to describe without using food words.  They are brilliant and beautiful and the essence of Fall - in edible form. 


Autumn Brittle
1 Cup Almonds
1 Cup Cashews
3/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
2/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
2 and 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar 
1/2 Cup Honey
1 Cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon Butter
Heat the sugar, honey, water and salt in a large pot over a low-medium flame. Using a candy thermometer, continue to heat the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 310 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine nuts, pumpkin seeds and craisins.










Cut parchment paper to fit inside a 9x13 pan.  Grease paper.












Once mixture reaches 310, cool to 302.  Stir in butter.  




Stir in nut mixture.


Spread into prepared pan. Transfer to refrigerator to cool.  








Remove from pan.


Break into pieces.


Ciao!





5 comments:

  1. Can’t wait to try. Are you using salted or unsalted nuts for this recipe? 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do you add the vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible to make this in a crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why cant we print the recipe.?

    ReplyDelete