Monday, October 13, 2014

Nacho Pizza


I am totally addicted to Big Green Egg pizza.   Haven't tried it yet?  You don't know what you're missing.  It is THE BEST. 


Seriously, I love pizza on the Egg.  Unfortunately, pizza just isn't all that good for me - even though I try and convince myself that piling vegetables on top of a slice of pizza is just the same as eating a salad!?!


Lucky for me - I found an alternative to traditionally unhealthy pizza - nacho pizza.  A layer of spicy black bean puree spread on top of a whole wheat crust loaded with fresh vegetables and just a sprinkling of cheese - delicious. 


A pizza that is so flavorful and delicious that I never even missed traditional pizza. 


Nacho Pizza
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4  teaspoon salt

reduced fat monterey jack cheese
red bell pepper, diced
sliced olives
sliced avocado










Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  












Combine flours and salt in bowl of standing mixer.






Add yeast mixture and oil to mixer and knead at least 5 minutes.


Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm space for at least an hour.


Stretch dough to a 12 inch circle.  (Or make 2 smaller - thinner pizzas.)


Combine beans, garlic, chili powder and oil in food processor.   Process until smooth.


Cut vegetables for the toppings.  (I honestly thought that I had tomatoes in my frig and I was planning to put those on my pizza as well.  Oh well - just as good without.)


Heat pizza stone on top of plate setter on Egg.  Place dough circle on top of hot stone.


Spread bean mixture on crust.


Sprinkle with cheese.


Add toppings.  (I made half of the pizza with toppings and half without - more kid friendly.)

 
So what kind of nacho pizza are you going to eat first?  Toppings or no toppings?


 As for me - it's veggies all the way.  (I'm totally sticking to my salad theory.)


 Yum.

Ciao!









No comments:

Post a Comment