Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Funfetti Cupcakes





Why is it that sprinkles make everything taste better?


When my kids were little, I used to put sprinkles on absolutely everything that I could to get them to eat.  Fifteen years later - Courtney is STILL eating sprinkles on her food.




The truth is - I love sprinkles too.  I'm not totally sure but it's possible that I have a teenie bit of a sprinkle obsession.
Then again - doesn't everybody buy sprinkles in bulk? 


The fact that I have two tupperware bins that are overflowing with sprinkles might indicate a possible sprinkle addiction.
I think I have sprinkles for every holiday and LOTS of everyday sprinkles. 


I love sprinkles so much that I don't even mind cleaning them up off of the floor for WEEKS after I make these funfetti cupcakes.  (Seriously, I have no idea how they got ALL over my kitchen!)




Funfetti Cupcakes 
1 cup whole milk (237 ml), at room temperature
4 large egg whites (120 g), at room temperature
1 egg, whole, at room temperature
2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) almond extract
3 cups (350 g) cake flour, sifted
1-1/2 cups vanilla sugar (300 g)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder (19.5 g)
3/4 teaspoon salt (5 g)
6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, softened but cool, and cut into cubes
6 tablespoons (85 g) vegetable shortening
1/2 cup Rainbow Jimmies





Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two standard muffin pans with your favorite baking liners and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine and stir the egg whites, whole egg, milk, vanilla and the almond extract. Set aside.


 


Add the butter and shortening, and blend on low speed for about 30 seconds,.


Add milk mixture and mix on low speed until just moistened. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1-1/2 minutes.


Fold in the rainbow jimmies until just combined.




Divide the batter into your prepared pans. This recipe makes 12 jumbo cupcakes or 24 regular sized cupcakes.


Bake until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake, about 16-18 minutes.



Remove the cupcakes from the baking pans immediately, to let cool. Let cool completely before frosting.


Frost with vanilla buttercream and decorate with sprinkles.


Funfetti cupcakes - I'm not to proud to admit that I love them just as much as the kids.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment