Monday, August 25, 2014

Rainbow Cake


Do you like surprises? 

Cutting into this rainbow cake is like opening a birthday present - It's got a little surprise inside.  The unassuming and simplistic exterior isn't indicative of the color packed rainbow creation that lies beneath it's creamy surface.  Slicing into this cake is the only way to reveal the spectrum of rainbow colored layers that of yummy goodness.


I love cakes like this.  Tye Dye cakes, surprise cakes, rainbow cakes, they are perfect for girls birthday parties. 

It takes a little bit of extra prep work to get this cake prepped and assembled but it's totally worth a little bit of extra work to see the look on the birthday girls face when that first rainbow slice is removed from the cake. 

I used the almond white cake recipe for this cake and I made 2 nine inch round cakes so I tripled the recipe. 

To start, get out 6 large bowls, food coloring, (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple in my case) 6 butter knives and prep cake pans.


Start by making the cake batter.  I divided my batter BEFORE adding the beaten egg whites.  I put approximately 2 cups of batter in each bowl.  I went back and added 2 cups of egg whites to each bowl as well.


 Then I added food coloring to each bowl before folding the egg whites into the batter.





Then I divided each batter color between 2 cake pans.  (You can bake it in one pan and split the layer in half with a knife after it cools if you prefer.)


Bake cakes for 22 minutes at 350.  Cool cakes on wire racks. 







To make frosting, combine:
3 ounces instant pudding mix
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup milk
8 ounces cool whip






Start to layer cake with frosting between each layer.




Yea ... that looks pretty delicious.  Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting and refrigerate.








Spread remaining frosting over entire cake and decorate.



Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment