Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Garden Fish Tacos


Summer and garden - two words that just go together.  My garden is looking better and better every day.  I am diligently watering so my plants will continue to thrive in spite of the lack of rain in Atlanta.  I snapped a few pictures of my garden so that you can see what yummy things I have planted.



Carrots and Cucumbers and Peppers and Tomatoes and Beans and Watermelon - oh my!

Every time I 'm out working in the garden and I see these vegetables growing, I get hungry for fresh produce.  Most of my vegetables aren't quite ready for harvest yet so I have to make due with grocery store produce for a little while longer.

To satisify my need for fresh summer vegetables, I put together some summer garden fish tacos a couple of weeks ago - a recipe that I loosely based on a recipe that I found in a taste of home magazine. 


Summer Garden Fish Tacos
1 ear of corn
1 poblano pepper
4 orange roughy filets
salt and pepper
1 yellow squash
1 plum tomato
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 Tablespoon cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lime zesst
8 taco shells or flour tortillas
1/2 ripe avocado

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in foil.  Place on the grill to cook through.  (Or bake in the oven.) 


Add corn to the grill to roast.


My fish took about 15 minutes to cook on a 300 degree grill.  (Time will depend on temperature of the grill and thickness of your fish.)


The corn took about 20 minutes to brown on the outside - the inside was perfectly roasted.


Cut squash and poblano in half.  Roast on grill until charred.  (I didn't add any oil to my vegetables but you could if you like.)


 It took about 15 minutes for my vegetable to cook.


I sliced my vegetables and chopped my fish for the tacos.


 Next, I chopped the tomato and the red onion and added the lime zest.


Once the corn was cool enough to handle, I sliced the kernels off the cob and added it to the salsa.


Slice up an avocado.


Put out some crispy taco shells or some flour tortillas and you have all the makings for a great fish taco.


I prefer the flour tortillas fish tacos.


And the kids like the crispy shells.


From the blog post, it really looks like these took a lot of work but they came together really quickly.  Everything cooked really quickly and if you have a big enough grill, you can cook it all at one time.

I just love these tacos.   The tomato/corn salsa and roasted vegetables are just perfect summer flavors.  Have I mentioned lately how much I love summer?

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment