Friday, May 23, 2014

Salmon Patties



I'm always a little hesitant to try a new recipe for something when I already have a perfectly good recipe for the same thing.  When I saw this recipe for Salmon Cakes in my Fresh and Fabulous magazine, I didn't really think too much about it because I already have a salmon burger recipe that I just LOVE.  For some reason I kept going back to the recipe though and after reading through it, I realized that it was quite a bit different than the burgers that I had been making for years.

I had never considered poaching the salmon before forming it into patties or coating the patties in panko and sesame seeds.  Who knows, maybe I will like this recipe even BETTER than the original.
 

Salmon Patties
1 pound fresh salmon
lemon slices
4 eggs
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups panko
1/3 cup minced scallions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 Tablespoons canola oil



Poach salmon, topped with lemon slices, in barely bubbling water for about 7 minutes.








Flake with a fork once cooled.
Combine eggs, lime juice, soy, vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt.







Combine salmon, 2 cups panko, scallions and cilantro.


Add wet ingredients.








Combine remaining 1 cup panko and sesame seeds.








Use an ice cream scoop to form mixture into patties.  Dip each into panko mixture and place on a baking sheet.  Refrigerate 1 hour. 


Heat oil in skillet.  Fry each patty in oil for 4 minutes on each side.  (or until browned)







Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.


Serve.



These were really yummy.  They were completely different than the salmon burgers that I normally make.  These little patties were more like a salmon cake than a burger.  I think it's worth keeping both of these salmon recipes in the repertoire. 

I have a bunch of these leftover so I'm set for lunches for the rest of the week too.  Bonus!

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment