Friday, May 16, 2014

Mini Mojito Cupcakes


Happy Birthday Mom!

In honor of my moms birthday I thought I would take a moment to thank my mom for all of the things that she did for me while I was growing up.  It would be impossible to compile a comprehensive list of everything that mothers do for their kids but I thought I would start with the top 10 things that my mom did for me because I'm sure that she never received a proper "thank you" for any of them.

1.  Thank you for your unconditional love and support.

2.  I feel like this goes along with number one but, thank you for putting up with me as a teenager.  The endless hours that you spent listening to my teenage drama was more therapeutic than I ever realized.  Not to mention the daily phone calls from school complaining of a stomach virus. 

3.  Believing in me even when I didn't believe in myself.  Encouraging me to try new things and take risks even when failure seemed almost certain. 

4.  Being the first, loudest and on some occasions, and my biggest cheerleader.  You celebrated every accomplishment, no matter how small or insignificant it seemed to me.

5.  The endless hours that you spent driving me to practices and bending over backwards to make sure that I had instruments and music, cleats and ballet shoes, clean uniforms and costumes.  I could not even begin to add up the time that you spent in the car driving me to rehearsals, lessons and play dates.

6.  Thank you for all of the home cooked meals that I took for granted.  For teaching me healthy eating habits from a very early age and for developing in me a great appreciation for food. 

7.  All the times that you doubled as a therapist, counselor, costume designer, seamstress, chef, maid, finder of anything missing in the house and all around problem solver.  (I'm still not convinced that you don't have secret superhero powers.) 

8.  Forgiving me for all of my mistakes.  (We both know that there have been MANY to forgive, too.)

9.  For giving me a sibling who for years, I wanted to sell (or at least trade in for a sister) but today I would consider one of my closest friends. 

10.  For being the kind of person that I actually want to become because let's face it - it's inevitable. 

Being a mom is often a thankless job.  My mom is extraordinary and it didn't even occur to me until I moved out and had children of my own, just how under appreciated she was.  She was never one to seek approval or recognition and I'm quite sure that I did not show proper gratitude for most of the things that she did for me as a child..  So on your birthday, Mom, let me just say, THANK YOU.  For everything that you did for me as a child and for the things that you continue to do for me today.  I love you.

I hate that I can't be with my mom to celebrate today but I am going to do the next best thing - send her a virtual cupcake.  (Not quite as good as an actual cupcake but - it has no calories!)  This one's for you mom - love you.


 


Mini Mojito Cupcakes
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt










Preheat oven to 350.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.






Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.


Add egg and vanilla.








Add lime zest and rum.





Add dry ingredients, alternating with yogurt.


Scoop into mini cupcake pans and bake 18 minutes.


 Frost with lime buttercream and decorate with fresh mint.


Happy Birthday Mom - I Love You!

Ciao!





















No comments:

Post a Comment