Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cauliflower Tots


I don't buy a lot of cauliflower because my family just doesn't eat a whole lot of it.  (Makes sense right?)  Anyway, I was getting tired of our "usual" vegetables so I thought I would switch things up and add it to my grocery list last week.


I headed to my favorite grocery store and it just so happened that cauliflower was on sale - buy one get one free.  Not the kind of BOGO that you can actually buy one and get it for half price either, you actually had to buy two.  I felt like I was just being ripped off if I didn't take my free one so I put two heads of cauliflower in my cart - without the slightest idea how we were ever going to eat it all.  Pinterest to the rescue.  I found a recipe on ibreathimhungry.com for cauliflower tots that looked absolutely amazing.  I had visions of this being the recipe that turned my family in cauliflower fans.


Cheesy Cauliflower Tater Tots
Yield: At least 50
Ingredients
  • 1 medium head of cauliflower
  • 2 Tbl heavy cream (I substituted fat free half and half)
  • 2 Tbl butter
  • 1/3 cup shredded gruyere or cheddar cheese
  • 4 egg whites
  • salt & pepper to taste
Clean and trim the cauliflower, adding the florets to a microwave safe bowl.
 







Add the cream and butter to the bowl.  Cover and microwave for 5 minutes.



Add the cauliflower and cheese to a magic bullet or food processor and blend until still chunky – kind of like a cooked oatmeal consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least half an hour.









Whip the egg whites to a stiff peak.








Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture to lighten it up. Then fold the cauliflower mixture into the rest of the egg whites and gently mix until combined.


For best results, chill for another half hour or they won’t hold their shape as well.

 











Fill a pastry bag with filling.









Gently squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet, cutting with a butter knife as you go.












When finished, bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and serve.











These tots are best when they first come out of the oven.


Truth is - my family did not turn into cauliflower eaters because of these tots.   No cauliflower love in this house.  I for one, though they were really yummy and I WILL make them again.  (Even if I have to eat them all myself.)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment