Monday, December 2, 2013

Sweet Apple Chips










Anyone remember my apple chip fail from last Fall?







I desperately wanted to make some nice crispy little chips out of my freshly picked apples but it was kind of a disaster.  The apple slices never got crispy and I ended up with soggy, chewy disks.  They were tasty but they certainly weren't CHIPS. 

Well, I'm at it again.  We will call this apple chips - attempt #2.
Slice apples on a mandolin. 









Bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil.
Add apples and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Use tongs to transfer apples from syrup to a greased wire rack set over a cookie sheet.




Bake 10 minutes at 350.



Remove from rack and put into a bowl.  Chips will crisp as they cool.



These are soooo good.




Apparently, the key to getting nice CRISPY apple chips is SUGAR!  These apples chips are so good that I ate mine in less than 24 hours. I put them in a little bowl on the counter and by the end of the day, I had eaten the entire bowl full of chips. They're super sweet and crispy and crunchy and delicious.

These were supposed to be the decoration on top of my caramel apple tarts but unfortunately - I ate them all!   Just picture one of these little chips on top of an apple tart, a slice of warm apple pie or sitting beside a mug of steaming hot cider. I love these little apple chips - I think I've finally solve the apple chip dilemma. (I can sleep a little better tonight.)

Ciao!







No comments:

Post a Comment