Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Slow Roasted Chuck Roast


I am about to state the obvious.. I'm a multitasker.  What can I say? - I'm a mom.  It's actually hard for me to sit down and concentrate on a single task.  (Something that I'm working on, by the way.)  My mind is going in at least 3 different directions at any given moment during the day.  I can pack lunches, start dinner preparations, check email on my ipad, answer a phone call and help the kids with their homework - all at the same time.  (Again- nothing that any other mom doesn't do every single day.)

I enjoy cooking and I love to be in the kitchen but it's not always practical for me to spend an hour preparing dinner.  There are uniforms that need to be washed and school projects to help with and meetings and games to attend - some nights I just don't have the time to prepare dinner - even for a multitasker like myself.

Whenever possible, I like to cook at least 2 dinners at one time so I can have leftovers to serve my family on our extra busy nights.  I cook a turkey one day and serve it in sandwiches and salads and tacos and quesadillas all week.  It's a great way to save time on dinner preparations and still be able to serve healthy meals to my busy family.

I found this recipe for slow roasted chuck roast in my Cook's Country magazine and after I read through the entire article, I realized that it was actually two recipes in one.  The roast is divided in half and half is served as a roast and the other half is served as roast beef po' boy sandwiches.  Genius.  By cooking all of the meat at the same time, I can save lots of time in the kitchen.  This will probably make more sense when you actually see how this recipe comes together so I'll just let you enjoy. 

Slow Roasted Chuck Roast
1 5-8 pound center cut boneless check - eye roast
5 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Pat roast dry with paper towels.  Seperate roast into 2 pieces.  Cut smaller roast into 1 inch cubes.


  Combine salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder in a bowl. 


Rub half over surface of roast.  Wrap roast in plastic wrap.









Put the beef cubes in a ziploc bag and sprinkle the remaining rub in bag with beef.






Refrigerate from 6 to 24 hours.  Heat oven to 300.  Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet.   Brown roast on all sides.









Transfer roast to a platter and heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet.






 Add beef to skillet and brown.  Add flour and cook 1 minute.  Add wine and until nearly dry.








Add beef and chicken broths and bring to a boil.  













Cover and bake in oven for 1 hour.









 Place browned roast on top of cubed beef and bake, uncovered for another hour.  (Or to an internal temperature of 150.)








Transfer roast to a platter, cover and let rest for 20 minutes.


Slice and serve with pan sauce.



I served mine with  mashed potatoes, buttermilk rolls and a green salad. 


The meat was really tasty on it's own but if you're a gravy fan - go for it.


Put the beef cubes into a container and be sure and check tomorrows blog to see how you can turn those into a delicious po boy sandwich.  Trust me - you don't want to miss that one.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. We loved this recipe too, and were happy to discover the Horseradish Sauce that goes with it - that was my husband's favorite and we've tried quite a few.

    ReplyDelete