Friday, November 22, 2013

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes



It's nearly Thanksgiving - time for me to look back and reflect on everything that I am so thankful for. (It's therapeutic for me to sit down and reflect on my blessings.)  It helps me to re-prioritize when my life gets chaotic and overwhelming. 

Now that my list is written and my priorities are back in order, it's time to let all of those special people in my life know just how much they are loved AND since my love language is food - I think a special breakfast is in order.  Cinnamon roll pancakes sound like a good way to say "I Love You" don't you think?


Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Pancake Mix  (You can substitute a box pancake mix if you like.)
1 cup flour                                      1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon sugar                         1/8 cup sour cream
¼ teaspoon salt                               1 egg
½ teaspoon baking powder             1 ½ Tablespoons butter, melted
¼ teaspoon baking soda                 

Cinnamon Swirl
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

Cream Cheese Glaze
4 Tablespoons butter
2 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine cinnamon swirl ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.  Stir well and transfer to a squeeze bottle.  If you don't have a squeeze bottle, you can use a ziplog bag.


 








Combine cream cheese glaze ingredients in a mixer and spoon into a squeeze bottle.  (OR a ziploc bag.)  I added a little bit of milk to my glaze to make it more of a drizzling consistency and a little less thick.  














For pancake batter, mix together dry ingredients.















Combine buttermilk, sour cream, egg and melted butter.

 



Add to dry ingredients and stir gently.  Let batter rest 10 minutes.  (For some reason this picture did not turn out but I'm sure you've seen pancake batter before.)  Melt a small amount of butter in the skillet.  Use an ice cream scoop to drop circles of batter onto the hot skillet.


Squeeze a drizzle of cinnamon in the middle of each pancake.  If you're using a bag, snip off the corner and squeeze the cinnamon mixture out of the bag onto the pancake.








Let cook until bubbles form on top.  Flip and finish cooking.





 

Serve pancakes with a drizzle of cream cheese glaze. (or syrup)
 

Nothing says "you are loved" better than warm, gooey, cinnamon oozing from a fluffy buttermilk pancake smothered in sweet cream cheese frosting.  These pancakes are sure to warm your family from the inside out.  Hope you enjoy.

Ciao!















No comments:

Post a Comment