Thursday, October 10, 2013

Waffle Cone Fruit Cups



Want to know what I would consider to be my most important kitchen tool?  Really good, really sharp knives.

I have a small arsenal of knives that I've collected over the years but I have my favorites that I use all the time.  My go-to knives get really dull - really fast because I use them so much. 

I've tried using a steel to sharpen them and I've done more damage with that than good so I don't use that anymore.  I've dropped my knives off at Whole Food but that is really inconvenient because it isn't anywhere close to my house and it takes 2 separate trips to drop off and pick up.

My brother recently clued me on a little known secret - Williams Sonoma does knife sharpening!  How did I never know this?  I spend quite a bit of time wandering around Williams Sonoma and I never knew that they sharpened knives - and really reasonably I might add.  ($5.00 for the first knife, second knife free and 5.00 for each knife after that.) 

Hoping that it wasn't too good to be true, I gathered up 3 of my favorite go-to knives and headed to the nearest Williams Sonoma store.  Sure enough, they do knife sharpening while you shop!  Bonus.  I decided to drop mine off because I was also doing some back to school shopping with the kids so I didn't have a lot of extra time to wander around Williams Sonoma.  (Even though I love to wander through that store.) 

I swung back through the store to pick up my knives up on the way out of the mall.  I stood in the checkout line and when I got up to the counter, I asked the cashier if my knives had been sharpened.  He raised his right hand to reveal a middle finger that was tightly bandaged with gauze and tape.   His reply - "Oh yes.  They're definitely sharp."  Apparently, he cut his finger while in the process of testing my knife for sharpness.  (eeeek) As he handed me my knives, he gave me some final words of advice ... "Be careful with those." I have to admit, I was a little timid to get them out and use them when I got home. 









I am happy to report that as I type this, I still have all 10 fingers and so far, no serious injury from my sharpened knives.  I do love it when they're sharp.  I made this fruit salad in waffle cones for the Cross Country team picnic and sharp knives made the job of cutting fruit a whole lot easier.









You can use any combination of fruit that you like.  This is the fruit that I put in my waffle cones.
Cantelope


Pineapple


Strawberries


 Peaches


 





Grapes







 and Blueberries.

Combine fruit in a large bowl.


 

Now for the hard part, getting the waffle cones to stand up while you fill them with fruit. 





I used a pastry box with a cupcake liner stapled to the top of the box to get them to stand up straight.  


The cupcake box made for easy transport too.  


These fruit cones were a big hit with the cross country team.  The tops of the cones can get a little soggy from the fruit so don't fill them until you're ready to serve.  Enjoy!

Ciao!











No comments:

Post a Comment