Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Texas Roadhouse Rolls



"I won't eat too many rolls.  I will not eat too many rolls.  I will not eat more than 1 roll."  These are the words that run through my head when we are headed to a steak house for dinner.  Seriously, why are steak house rolls so addicting?  What do they put in those things?

When the waiter walks over to the table and places a basket of warm, buttery rolls on the table in front of me, I just can't resist.  They are all wrapped up in a napkin so I feel like it's a gift that is just begging to be unwrapped and enjoyed.  (After all, it would be rude not to enjoy the gift, right?) 

If I really wanted to avoid the temptation of these little delicacies, I could ask them not to bring the bread basket to the table but the truth is, they're totally worth the splurge.  I love them.  (Even if it means that I overindulge on bread and end up bringing most of my dinner home.)

I would say that the rolls are what keeps me going back to a great steakhouse because I can't even remember the last time I actually ordered a steak at any restaurant.  Well, the rolls AND the fact that my family loves to go out for a steak dinner.

I found a recipe for  Texas Roadhouse Rolls (Some of my favorites) on www.envymycooking.blogspot.com.  I am about to embark on some very dangerous territory.   If these really are as good as their steak house counterpart, I am in serious trouble.  Here goes nothing...


Texas Roadhouse Rolls - Copycat Recipe
adapted from: Good Stuff Maynard

4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 c. sugar
2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt


Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. 
Add milk, sugar and 3 cups of flour to make a medium batter. Beat thoroughly.
Let stand until light and foamy.


 
Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well. 



Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest. Meanwhile, grease a large bowl. Knead dough 4-5 minutes in mixer.  


Put into a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.


Punch down. Turn out onto a floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes. 


Cut into squares using a sharp knife.  I didn't exactly get squares when I picked them up so my rolls had a more "rustic" look.
 

 
Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Baste immediately with butter.


Serve warm.  Or even better ... with honey butter.



Drooling yet?  But wait ... I split one open so you could see the flaky inside too.  (You're welcome.)





Yup, I'm in trouble.  These rolls give those steak house rolls a run for these money.  And to answer my earlier question "What do they put in those things?", the answer is butter. 

Ciao!




Texas Roadhouse Rolls - Copycat Recipe
adapted from: Good Stuff Maynard

4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 c. sugar
2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. Add milk, sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter. Beat thoroughly. Let stand until light and foamy. Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well.

Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest. Meanwhile, grease a large bowl. Knead dough 4-5 minutes in mixer.  Put into a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down. Turn out onto a floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into desired forms. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Baste immediately with butter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment