Monday, October 28, 2013

Low Fat Pumpkin Pound Cake



Are you feeling like this Fall is just flying by?  It's nearly November already - yikes - where did the time go?  I love Fall and I am really enjoying the cooler temperatures in Atlanta.  We took a hike on the Cherokee trail at Stone Mountain park a few weekends ago and I managed to snap a few pictures of the beginnings of Fall.

You will have to excuse the picture quality, I opted to take my small camera instead of hiking with  my big SLR camera so the picture quality isn't quite what I wanted.  I hope that you can still get a glimpse of the amazingly beautiful scenery while the leaves were just beginning to turn.


Beautiful foliage, sunset hikes through the woods and family time - now that is what Fall is all about.  Oh, and Ben decided to show us his "flagpole" techniques on the hike too. 

And, Fall wouldn't be complete with out a few pumpkin desserts too.  I found a recipe for a low fat pumpkin cake on somethingswanky.com.  (A low fat version of the classic pumpkin cake served at Starbucks restaurants.)  No butter, no oil, no egg yolks - could it really be any good?  I decided to find out for myself.

 

Starbucks Pumpkin Pound Cake
Ingredients
1 1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
3 Egg Whites
1 c. Canned Pumpkin
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a loaf pan, set aside.  Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, and nutmeg, into a mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, yogurt, and egg whites.  Whisk thoroughly until blended.












Stir in the pumpkin.  Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until completely incorporated.











Pour into pan.


    Bake 60 minutes at 350.


    Let cool completely on wire rack.


    As if the cake didn't look decadent enough, I decided to add a powdered sugar glaze.  (I mixed together a little powdered sugar, water and cinnamon.)


     Slice and serve.



    This is what was looking at me while I ate my slice of pumpkin pound cake.  She's doing her very best to give me puppy dog eyes.


    She's awfully cute but she still didn't get a piece of my cake.  It was way to good to give to the dog.

    Ciao!











    No comments:

    Post a Comment