Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sweet and Tangy BBQ Chicken


I have been ready for Fall since the kids went back to school at the end of July.  I put my Fall decorations up in the house during an unusually cool and "Fall-like" weekend in the middle of August.  (I took some heat for that because my family thought August was too early to display pumpkins.)  This weeks it's finally starting to FEEL like Fall outside.









I love the cooler weather and the changing leaves.  I love that we can watch soccer games without having to sit under an umbrella to shield ourselves from the sun.  But I mostly love that I can turn off the air conditioner, open  the windows and open up the door to the porch.


The screened in porch off of our kitchen has to be one of my favorite places in the whole house.   It's a great place to hangout and read my Bible while sipping hot tea in the morning and it's a great place to relax and listen to the stillness of the evening.  (And all the neighborhood kids playing outside.)  For much of the summer, I have to keep the door closed just to keep the house to a tolerable air conditioned level.  I feel like I lose a whole room off of the house then because I use that space so often.

My Big Green Egg is housed just outside of the screened in porch and it is a whole lot easier to access when I can walk right through the screened in porch to the back deck without trying to turn doorknobs with platters of food (and my camera) in my hand.

I made this sweet and tangy barbequed chicken on the Big Green Egg a few weeks ago.  Ben and the kids really enjoyed it.  I was a little on the fence about the sauce but I'll let you be the judge. 

Sweet and Tangy Barbequed Chicken
Chicken
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
6 pounds split chicken breasts

Sauce
1 cup ketchup
5 Tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup grated onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper








Combine sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne in a bowl.






Arrange chicken on a tray.  Sprinkle with spice rub.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours. (or up to 24 hours)









For the sauce: Whisk together ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard and pepper.




Heat oil in saucepan.  Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.









Add chili powder and cook 30 seconds.






Whisk in ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Reserve 2/3 cup for basting and refrigerate the remaining sauce for serving.








Grill chicken to 165 degrees.  Brush both sides with sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  Cover and let rest 5 minutes. 




So there you go, sweet and tangy barbequed chicken.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Ciao!



Sweet and Tangy Barbequed Chicken
Chicken
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
6 pounds split chicken breasts

Sauce
1 cup ketchup
5 Tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup grated onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne in a bowl.  Arrange chicken on a tray.  Sprinkle with spice rub.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours. (or up to 24 hours)


For the sauce: Whisk together ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard and pepper.  Heat oil in saucepan.  Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.  Add chili powder and cook 30 seconds.  Whisk in ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Reserve 2/3 cup for basting and refrigerate the remaining sauce for serving.  

Grill chicken to 165 degrees.  Brush both sides with sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  Cover and let rest 5 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment