Saturday, September 14, 2013

Peach and Crab Salad



It's Saturday!  The question is ... what will you choose to do with this wonderful day?

I spent last Saturday afternoon around the house - cooking, cleaning and - organizing.  It was a great way to spend the afternoon. I felt very accomplished as I crossed things off of my "to do" list. 

Saturday afternoon, Ryan casually mentioned that he was going to go for a bike ride.  I think it was the cleaning solutions blurring my brain because I immediately said "I'll go too."  What???  A bike ride with Ryan?  Was I crazy?  What in the would even made me think that I could keep up with my ultra athletic 17 year old son on a mountain bike?

I was so excited about getting to spend a couple of hours hanging out with him that all reasoning left my brain.  I was purely focused on the one on one time with Ryan and I really had no idea how in the world I was ever going to stay with him on a bike.  It didn't matter, we were going to be together - at least in the truck ride to and from the park anyway.

We loaded up the bikes and headed to a mountain bike course that I had never ridden before - the Horsepark.  (How hard could it be?)  Ryan warned me that it was a challenging trail but he thought I could handle it.  Ryan had confidence in me - how could I let him down?


Within a half mile of riding on solid granite - I realized that I was in WAY over my head.  I was absolutely terrified.  All I could picture as I was careening down the giant rock was how long it was going to take me to recover when I flipped over the handle bars of my bike and broke my collar bone.  Had I really agreed to a death defying bike ride just to spend a couple of hours with my son?


I am happy to report that Ryan took mercy on me and went really slow while I squeezed my brakes so hard that I couldn't feel my fingers while I made my way down the steep hills.  He stopped and waited for me at the top of each hill while I huffed and puffed my way to the top. 

In spite of the difficult terrain, the terrifying hills, the steep climbs and solid rock surrface, I managed to come out of the course without any major injuries.  I had conquered the hill - the 1996 Olympic mountain bike course!  I was feeling very accomplished AND Olympic.  For the rest of the day, I referred to myself as an Olympian.  (he he he)


I don't plan to take any death defying mountain bike rides today but I'm sure that my day will still be filled with excitement and fun.  Most importantly, no matter what I do, I'll get to do it with my family - what could be better?  

Need a great, quick lunch to make for your family this weekend?  Try this crab salad - it's really good.

Crab Salad with Peaches and Avocados
1 pound fresh lump crab meat
2 Tablespoons lemon zest
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
5 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup celery, diced
2 green onions, sliced
5-6 medium peaches, chopped or sliced
1 Tablespoon honey
3 medium avocados, diced

Whisk together lemon zest, mayonnaise, mustard and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.









Fold in jalapeno, celery and green onions.







Add crabmeat.  Season with salt and pepper.
Stir together peaches and 4 Tablespoons lemon juice.








Reserve 3 cups peaches.  Pulse remaining peaches and honey in food processor.







Spoon pureed peach mixture onto plates.  Top with diced avocado, sliced peaches and then crab mixture.









Yum.

Today's your day - what will you do with it?

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment