Monday, September 16, 2013

Dinner Menu

My garden was less than prolific this year.  I'd like to chalk it up to our abnormally wet summer but the truth is, I didn't really give it the attention that it needed.  (I feel like I've failed as a gardener.)  Too many summer trips and too much on my plate to have the time to take care of my garden.  In spite of my negligence, I still had a couple of watermelon that managed to survive the weeding conditions and tangled vines. 


I picked the first watermelon of the summer last week - yes, I know it's September but I still consider it a summer fruit. I was a little apprehensive that it wouldn't be ripe inside but I've been eagerly awaiting my first watermelon since I planted the seeds - in MAY! 









Fortunately, it was ripe and ready to eat. 







I cut it up into cubes and we ate the entire bowl in one evening.  It was so worth the 4 months that it took to grow.  (My confidence as a farmer has been restored.)


I've got pumpkin plants in the garden now and to be honest, I haven't seen anything other than flowers on the vines so I'm a little apprehensive about whether or not I will get pumpkins this year.  (I'll keep you posted on the pumpkin progress.)

What else is on the Davis family menu this week besides watermelon, you ask?  Well, let me show you.

Monday
Spice Rubbed Grilled Turkey (A new recipe from Cooks Illustrated)

Tuesday
Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy  (A new recipe from Cooks Country)

Wednesday
Crispy Chicken Wraps (A recipe from melskitchencafe.com.)


 
Thursday
Tuna Melts




Friday
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs and Spaghetti  (A recipe that I found on Pinterest.)

Saturday
Slow Roasted Chuck Roast  (A recipe from Cooks Country.)

I like to try at least a couple of new recipes each week that I can post them on the blog but this week I've got FIVE new recipes to try!  A bit of a stretch - even for an overachiever like myself.  Can you tell that I got a new Cook's Illustrated magazine and a new Cook's Country magazine in the mail last week?  I can hardly wait to try out these new recipes. 

What are you fixing for dinner this week?  Send me a comment and let me know.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment