Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cracker and Parmesan Crusted Trout



There are some day's when I get completely frustrated that there isn't decent grocery store in the town where I live.  Don't get me wrong, our house isn't totally in the middle of nowhere - we do have a Wal Mart I go there for emergencies and some staples but I have to travel quite a bit further for specialty foods.


Ben and I made a trip to Athens a few weekends ago and I took full advantage and did some grocery shopping at Fresh Market while we were there. (I have mad love for Fresh Market.)   Ben wasn't quite as excited as I was about the grocery shopping trip as I was, but he came along anyway.


While I was there, I browsed past the seafood counter and I spotted fresh rainbow trout!  Fresh fish in this land locked city is a rare find so I snatched up 3 filets.  I brought my fish home and hit the internet for some much needed inspiration on how to best cook my prized fish.  I settled on a Rachel Ray recipe called cracker and parmesan crusted fish

Cracker and Parmesan Crusted Fish




Ingredients
  • 1 cup oyster crackers
  • 1/3 cup Ritz crackers (a generous handful)
  • 3/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
  • 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic (optional)
  • Flour, for coating
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Splash heavy cream or half-and-half
  • Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for frying
  • 4 sole or tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
  • Salt and pepper
  • Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions 
Using a food processor, grind the oyster crackers, Ritz crackers, parmigiano-reggiano, parsley, chives, thyme, Old Bay seasoning and garlic powder, if using. 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Transfer to a shallow bowl. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Place the flour in another shallow bowl. 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In a third shallow bowl, beat the eggs and cream. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fill a large skillet with enough EVOO to reach a depth of 1/4 inch and heat over medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. 
 

Coat the fish with the flour, shaking off any excess; coat with the egg mixture, then with the cracker crumbs. 
 





Working with 2 fillets at a time, fry the fish in the skillet, turning once, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. 
 
 
Drain on paper towels.  Transfer each batch to the oven to keep warm.
 





 This was awesome.  I loved the crunchy crust - it was super light and delicious.  
 





Did you happen to notice the macaroni and cheese on the plate next to my fabulously golden brown fish?  Just a heads up - the recipe is going to be featured on tomorrow's blog.  Don't miss it. 
 
By the way, every time that I get frustrated by the long commute to the grocery store, I take in the scenery that surrounds our house and I'm reminded of why we live here.  
 






Have I told you lately that I am blessed? 

Ciao!

  1. Cracker and Parmesan Crusted Fish
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup oyster crackers
    • 1/3 cup Ritz crackers (a generous handful)
    • 3/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
    • 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
    • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
    • 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic (optional)
    • Flour, for coating
    • 2 large eggs, beaten
    • Splash heavy cream or half-and-half
    • Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for frying
    • 4 sole or tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
    • Salt and pepper
    • Lemon wedges, for serving
    Directions
    1. Using a food processor, grind the oyster crackers, Ritz crackers, parmigiano-reggiano, parsley, chives, thyme, Old Bay seasoning and garlic powder, if using. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Place the flour in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, beat the eggs and cream.
    2. Fill a large skillet with enough EVOO to reach a depth of 1/4 inch and heat over medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Coat the fish with the flour, shaking off any excess; coat with the egg mixture, then with the cracker crumbs. Working with 2 fillets at a time, fry the fish in the skillet, turning once, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer each batch to the oven to keep warm
     

No comments:

Post a Comment