Thursday, September 5, 2013

Breakfast Tostadas


Sunday night is breakfast for dinner night in the Davis house.  Typically we have some kind of eggs with our meal.  I normally borrow recipes and ideas from other sources but I actually came up with my own unique way to serve eggs to my family on Sunday night - breakfast tostadas!  (Every once in a while - creativity strikes.) 

Since we love chicken tostadas and I figured out how to translate this Mexican favorite into a breakfast treat.  I made a few substitutions to make our tostadas a little more "morning friendly" and everyone really seemed to like them.  The best part is that they're completely customizable. 

As with any new recipe, I've still got a little tweaking to do to get them perfect.  I think I'm going to enjoy the perfecting process though. 

Breakfast Tostada
Brush tortillas with olive oil.  (I used a corn and flour tortilla because that is what I had in the pantry.  This recipe would work even better with small corn tortillas.)


Bake 4 minute per side in a 400 degree oven.


Fry sausage (or bacon) in skillet.  Put sausage on top of browned tortilla.


Arrange avocado slices on top of sausage.


Add cheese.  (Any kind will do.)


Add an egg to the top of the tostada.  Ben likes his eggs over easy so this is what his breakfast tostada looked like.


My daughter likes sausage, American cheese and scrambled eggs so this is what her tostada looked like...


I decided to go a slightly different route and have my sunny side up egg on top of a bed of spinach with avocado slices.



This was one delicious dinner.  The over sized tostadas made it a little bit of a challenge to pick up our tostadas to eat but that didn't stop us from diving right in their with both hands.  I think I may like these breakfast tostadas even better than the chicken tostadas. 

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment