Thursday, September 12, 2013

Basil Pesto Chicken Sandwiches



Ever have one of those days when you're just so busy that you end up doing something really stupid?  I had one of those days - not so long ago.  I was getting ready to send the kids off to their first day of school and I had 10 errands to run and 1 hour to get them all in.  I had my morning all planned out - the stores I had to get to early in order to avoid long lines and the stores that I had to run through last so that I could pick up cold food on my way home.  I set out on my mission to conquer my errands - quickly.  My first stop - the UPS store.  All I had to do was pick up an envelope and mail a package.  (I had already planned ahead and preprinted my address label at home to save me time at the store.)  I know what your thinking - "she's an errand whiz."

Not so fast.  I quickly took the envelope from the girl behind the counter, shoved all of my things inside, sealed it and handed it back to be weighed.  The friendly UPS employee took my money and tossed the envelope into a large bin with hundreds of other envelopes to be delivered.  I walked out of the store feeling confident about checking my first errand off the list in under 5 minutes UNTIL I reached in my purse to get my keys.  I spent the next several precious minutes digging through the depths of my purse desperately searching for the keys that were in my hand no less than 5 minutes before.  All of a sudden I realized what had happened to my keys - yes, I had MAILED THEM!

Feeling completely embarrassed, I had to go back into the UPS store and ask the very nice girl behind the counter to retrieve the envelope that had been tossed into the large bin.  It didn't take her long to find my package and fortunately she did a pretty good job of hiding the smirk on her face when she handed it back to me.  I opened the envelope and sure enough - there were my keys!  Lesson learned - that was the signal that I needed to slow down.  It ended up taking twice as long to finish the rest of my errands BUT I did manage to make it home with my keys.

I tend to get in a hurry when I fixing dinner too.   I love these basil pesto chicken sandwiches because I don't need to be made in a hurry to make them because they come together so quickly. Roasting the chicken in the oven is quick and simple and really makes these sandwiches a snap to put together.  (Even for an overambitious person like me.)

Basil Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
Basil Pesto Sauce
2 Tablespoons basil pesto
2 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
oregano
avocado

Baguettes








Combine sauce ingredients.













Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and oregano.  Bake 20 minutes in a 350 oven.
















To assemble sandwiches, spread pesto sauce on top bun.  Add chicken to bottom bun.  Arrange avocado on top of chicken and replace top bun. 


 

Ben and I really enjoyed these chicken sandwiches.  Neither of the kids are big basil fans so I swapped their basil pesto out with a little honey mustard.  It was a simple way to make a dinner that everyone could enjoy.

PS:  If you ever get a set of keys in the mail from me, please send them back.

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment