Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Shrimp, Sausage and Corn Salad



I wish I could show you the look on the faces of my kids when I announce that it's "salad for dinner" night.  (Picture in your heads very sad and helpless expressions staring back at me in desperation.)  When I call the kids to dinner they slowly drag themselves to the table, clearly trying to hide the disappointment on their faces.  When I placed a bowl of salad covered in Italian sausage and roasted shrimp in the middle of the dinner table - their long faces suddenly turn into smiles.  Obviously, what they were expecting was a green salad loaded with vegetables and what they got in return was a salad loaded with delicious meat and fish.  They'll never underestimate my dinner salad again. (ha ha ha)

Shrimp, Sausage and Corn Salad
12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deviened
2 cups fresh corn
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced Italian Sausage
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
24 grape tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Combine shrimp,


corn,


green onions,


minced garlic,


sausage,


1/4 cup fresh basil,


12 tomatoes,


and kosher salt in a large bowl. 


Heat oil in skillet and add shrimp mixture.  Cook until sausage is cooked through.


Remove from heat.  Add lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining basil and tomatoes.  Serve over salad or on its own.


Now that is a summer salad that I can really sink my teeth into.  Our empty plates were a good sign that it was well liked by everyone. 


Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment