Monday, August 5, 2013

Grilled Chicken with Honey Chipolte BBQ Sauce


Not a day goes by that I don't stop to remind myself that I am one lucky girl.  I have been blessed with so much that I couldn't even begin to list all of the blessings that I have received.  Life is full ups and downs but in the end, we all receive way more than we deserve.

Speaking of lucky, my family was given the opportunity to travel to Colorado last month to attend a wedding and a family reunion.  It was an incredible trip.  I came home with well over 500 pictures, documenting our adventures in Colorado.   That seems a little excessive to add to one blog so I've decided to stretch them out over a week of blog posts instead.  Everyday this week, I will add a new set of pictures, documenting some of our activities in Colorado. 

This first set of pictures was taken on the last day of our vacation.  We drove up the Boreas Pass and hiked (some of the way) up the mountain.  The views from the mountain were incredible and it was an amazing way to spend our final day in Colorado. 



Who needs post cards? 

It would be nearly impossible to stand on this mountain and not be in awe of the amazing scenery and the one who created it all.  It was not easy for any of us to leave the state of Colorado and head home.

I spent most of the plane ride home formulating a grocery list to restock the empty refrigerator that awaited us.  Heading to the grocery store was a priority once we landed in Georgia since we had no milk, bread or staples.

The very first meal that I made, upon returning home from vacation was Grilled Chicken with Honey-Chipolte BBQ Sauce.  I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine.  (One of the many food magazines that I packed in my carry on luggage as reading material to pass the time on our plane ride.)


Grilled Chicken with Honey Chipolte BBQ Sauce
2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped shallots (I used a yellow onion instead)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons water
1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chipolte chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 bone in chicken leg quarters (I used 2 large chicken breasts with ribs.)

Heat oil in saucepan.  Add shallots and cook 2 minutes until softened.









Stir in ketchup and next 5 ingredients.






Add 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.


Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin and pepper.  Sprinkle over chicken. 

 











Grill chicken until temperature reaches 165 degrees.

















Baste chicken with BBQ sauce and grill 1 minute longer.






 I served my  BBQ chicken with a fresh tomato salad and nectarine slices.





 
The honey-chipolte bbq sauce definitely had a little kick to it.  It's easy to adjust the level of spice by adding a little more or less of the chipolte chili powder. 





Ciao!




Grilled Chicken with Honey Chipolte BBQ Sauce
2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped shallots (I used a yellow onion instead)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons water
1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chipolte chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 bone in chicken leg quarters (I used 2 large chicken breasts with ribs.)

Heat oil in saucepan.  Add shallots and cook 2 minutes until softened.  Stir in ketchup and next 5 ingredients.  Add 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.  Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin and pepper.  Sprinkle over chicken.  Grill chicken until temperature reaches 165 degrees.  Baste chicken with BBQ sauce and grill 1 minute longer.









No comments:

Post a Comment