Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fresh Corn and Spinach Salad



When I get new food magazines, I immediately start to leaf through them and mark the recipes that I want to try.  In most cases, it's the dessert recipes that catch my eye so by the time I get to the back of the magazine, I've tagged sweets and treats - almost exclusively.  It's usually not until I go back through the magazine a second or third time and really take the time to read through the recipes that I find healthy recipes that I'm interested in trying as well. 

This salad recipe from my Taste of Home magazine was not something that immediately caught my attention.  As a matter of fact, I was hesitant to tear the page out of my magazine because I wasn't convinced that it was going to be something that I wanted to eat.  I was so apprehensive about it in fact, that I bought fresh corn on the cob - TWICE - and ended up eating it before I ever made the salad.   By the time I finally decided to bite the bullet and give this salad a chance, there was no fresh corn in the house so I had to use frozen corn.

This recipe totally caught me off guard.  It was absolutely delicious!   It was filling and satisfying and crunchy and fresh.  I loved it.  The dressing recipe made way more than I needed for my dinner salad so I have plenty leftover for more salads this week.  (Yea)

Fresh Corn and Spinach Salad
Basil Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped shallot
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Salad
2 ears corn, husked  (I used frozen corn instead.)
8 cups fresh spinach
4 plum tomatoes (or 1/2 cup grape tomatoes)
1/4 cup pecan halves
1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese

Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.









Grill corn, uncovered until crisp tender and browned.







Combine spinach, tomatoes, and pecans.










 Add corn.







Drizzle with half of vinaigrette.  Toss to coat.


Top with cheese and serve immediately.


Reserve remaining vinaigrette for another day and another salad.

I'm glad that I gave this salad a chance - it was really good.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment