Saturday, May 11, 2013

Strawberry Cake



It's strawberry season and what better way to highlight these luscious berries than in a cake?  I made this cake for a first birthday party and it was a big hit.  I didn't make the entire cake strawberry because I wasn't sure that everyone would share my love of strawberry cake but I did make a giant strawberry cupcake filled with fresh whipped cream and vanilla buttercream to sit on top of the cake.

Strawberry Cake
4 Tablespoons strawberry jam
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
pink food coloring
2/3 cup whole milk







Combine strawberries and jam in a small bowl.














Combine flour, baking powder and salt in another bowl.













Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg whites.








Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk.


Add a few drops of pink food coloring.


Stir in strawberries.


Divide between cake pans.


Bake 30 minutes at 350.


Cool on wire racks.
 

I filled this little cake with buttercream and it eventually became a giant cupcake on top of a larger polka dot cake.


 I think a giant strawberry cupcake cake is a perfect way to celebrate a first birthday.  Don't you?

 Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment