Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hero Sandwich


Dinner isn't always fancy and elegant at our house.  To be honest, sometimes the simplest meals are the most well received.  With little time to plan or prepare dinners lately, I have had to rely on quick and easy recipes to get us through this busy season.  I got some great dinner inspiration recently on a trip to a local Fresh Market grocery store.  I stopped by the deli and purchased some really great sliced meats to create a giant Italian hero sandwich.  I also picked up a rustic french bread loaf, some vine ripened tomatoes and some Boston lettuce for my hero.  I came home, put my Italian hero together and then packed it up to take to a soccer game.
 

Italian Hero
1 loaf rustic french bread
1/4 pound mortadella
1/4 pound hot capicola
1/4 pound genoa salami
1/4 pound Virginia baked ham
4 slices provolone cheese
4 slices colby jack cheese
fresh tomatoes, sliced
Boston lettuce leaves
Roasted Red Pepper





Slice the loaf of bread horizontally.












Layer with deli meats.  (Choose whatever meats you prefer.)


 Layer with your favorite cheeses.










Add lettuce leaves.








Add slices of fresh tomatoes.


Add roasted red pepper.


Slice sandwich.








If necessary, wrap and pack.








As it turned out, a hero sandwich was a perfect dinner for my daughter's soccer game.  She played a GREAT game.


 Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment