Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baby Back Ribs



I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back.   I want my baby back, baby back, baby back.  Any else remember that commercial?  I don't really remember which restaurant the ad was promoting (maybe Chilis?) but the song will forever be etched in my brain. 

My daughter absolutely loves ribs.  I should really make them more often because they're quick to prepare and super delicious.  I started this batch of ribs in the morning and by dinnertime - they were perfect.  









Prepare brine.  Dissolve 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar in 4 quarts of cold water.  I use a five gallon bucket for all of my brines.  (Not the pretties recipticle but definitely practical.)








I started with 2 racks of baby back ribs.  I cut each rack in half.








Place ribs in bucket and refrigerate for an hour.






Remove ribs from brine.  Pat dry with paper towels.



Combine spice rub ingredients.
2 Tablespoons brown sugar            1 ½ teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt                               ½ teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika                         ¼ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons chili powder                 ¼ teaspoon red pepper
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder










Rub over ribs.  Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.







Place in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.


My suggestion is that you leave the house for the next 8 hours because the smell of these ribs cooking in the crock pot made me REALLY hungry. 


I served these ribs to my parents on their last trip through Atlanta.  Everyone really liked them and even though they look like they are super spicy - they're really not - just flavorful. 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment