Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crock Pot Rotisieree Chicken




They say that the third time's a charm, right?  In the case of this crock pot chicken, that was absolutely true.  I made three chickens in my crock pot over the course of several months and each time they came out better and better.  By the time I got the third chicken, I had perfected the process and the timing.  I guess it's true that practice really does make perfect.

The first recipe that I tried came from busy-mommy.com.

 






1 broiler/fryer chicken (3.5-4 lbs)
2 Tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional!)
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper








 I added 2 Tablespoons of water the mixture to create a paste.








I rubbed the spice mixture all over the outside of the chicken and I put it in the crock pot for 71/2 hours.








After 7 1/2 hours, I took the chicken out of the crock pot and let it rest.









The result, a slightly overdone chicken with nice color but very little flavor on the inside.







I pulled the chicken meat off of the bones and we ate it for dinner.


The leftover chicken I ate on my salads for lunch for the rest of the week.


The second time that I made a chicken in the crock pot, I used a similar spice mixture.


This time, I put the rub under the skin of the chicken and turned the crock pot on low for 7 hours.  








The result was a slightly strange looking but tasty bird.














The meat was much more flavorful and moist than the first chicken.








The third time, I decided to try and create my own recipe.  A lemon pepper chicken sounded like just the right thing to do at the time.






Wash and pat dry a roaster chicken.






Combine lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and pepper in a bowl.  Spread mixture under the skin of the chicken and sprinkle extra lemon zest and pepper on top. (Trying to achieve both flavorful and pretty this time.)

I cooked my chicken for 6 1/2 hours.  - perfect.  Every crock pot probably cooks differently and it may take a few tries to figure out exactly how long to cook a chicken in your crock pot. 


Too busy to cook dinner, throw a chicken into the crock pot in the morning and it's ready to eat about 6 hours later.  What could be easier than that?  Lemon pepper crock pot chicken - you need to try this one.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment