Tuesday, March 12, 2013

White Chicken Chili



People tell me all the time that they could never stick to a workout routine at home. I guess I've done it for so long now that it's just become part of my morning routine.  (My ultra-compulsive personality helps me stick to my workout schedule too.)  For me, a home workout is the only option because I like to workout first thing in the morning and most days I don't have the time to drive to a gym.  I admit that working out by myself in my basement is not always ideal but I've learned to make the best of it.  I've learned to embrace my solitary workout because and actually, there are definite advantages to working out alone:

1. I can wear whatever I want and nobody is going to judge me for my mismatched workout clothes.
2. I don't waste time driving to or from the gym.   I can squeeze an extra 30 minutes of workout time into my morning schedule. 
3.  I can throw a load of clothes in the dryer between my warmup and stretch.  (Every minute counts.)
4.  I am sure that my yoga poses are not very pretty to look at so I spare myself the humiliation of having to do them in a room full of people. 
5.  I have some really wimpy arms and I'd be pretty embarrassed to lift my pathetic 12 pounds weights next to any serious weight lifter. 

It doesn't matter whether you workout at home or you workout in a gym really, what matters is that you do it.  I like to fuel my workouts with lots of protein.  This white chicken chili recipe is one that I have made for years and it's a great pre-workout meal. 

White Chicken Chili
3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts            1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon oil                                       2 cans white navy beans
2 jalapeno chilies                                     3 cups chicken broth
3 poblano chilies, seeded                         juice from 2 limes
3 Anaheim chilies, seeded                       4 scallions
2 medium onions                                     6 cloves garlic

Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Lay on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until no longer pink.  (Mine took about 40 minutes.)    Allow to cool.



Chop jalapeno, removing seeds and ribs.  Cut remaining peppers in large pieces.


In food processor, combine poblano chilies, Anaheim
chilies and onion.  Process until the consistency of chunky salsa.


Transfer mixture to pot.  Add garlic, cumin and ¼ teaspoon salt.



Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Transfer 1 cup vegetable mixture to cuisinart and add 1 cup beans and 1 cup of broth.  Process until smooth.





 





Add vegetable bean mixture to pan along with 2 cups broth and chicken breasts.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20-40 minutes.
Stir in remaining beans and simmer chili for 10 minutes.

 
When cool, shred chicken.  Stir chicken, lime juice and scallions into chili.  Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.


What kind of workouts do you like to do at home?  What do you eat before your workout to give you energy?  Send me your comments.

Ciao!

White Chicken Chili
3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts            1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon oil                                       2 cans white navy beans
2 jalapeno chilies                                     3 cups chicken broth
3 poblano chilies, seeded                     juice from 2 limes
3 Anaheim chilies, seeded                       4 scallions
2 medium onions                                     6 cloves garlic
Season
chicken with salt and pepper.  Lay on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until no longer pink.  (Mine took about 40 minutes.)  Allow to cool.
Chop jalapeno, removing seeds
and ribs.  Cut remaining peppers in large pieces.  In food processor,
combine the poblano chilies, the Anaheim chilies and onion.
Process until the consistency of chunky salsa.  Transfer mixture to pot.  Add garlic, cumin and ¼
teaspoon salt.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat. 
Transfer 1 cup vegetable mixture to cuisinart and add 1 cup beans and 1
cup of broth.  Process until smooth.  Add vegetable bean mixture to pan
along with 2 cups broth and chicken breasts.  Bring to a boil, reduce
heat and simmer, covered for 20-40 minutes.  Stir in remaining beans and simmer chili for 10 minutes.  When
cool, shred chicken.  Stir chicken, lime juice and scallions into
chili.  Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment