Saturday, March 16, 2013

Snickerdoodle Cake



I have taken a lot of cake recipes and turned them into cupcakes but I rarely do the reverse and turn a recipe for cupcakes into a cake.  The laws of science say that it should work both ways so I decided to give it a shot.

Do you remember the snickerdoodle cupcakes that I made for the 12 cupcakes of Christmas?


I have been thinking about this for a while and I could never come up with a reason that it wouldn't work to take the same batter that I used for the cupcakes, pour it into cake pans and make a cake out of it.  This is how I did it.

Snickerdoodle Cake

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter until light and fluffy


Add sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.


Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.


Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low.  Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.









Line 2 round cake pans with parchment paper.







Divide batter between pans.  


 Bake 30 minutes at 350.


 Cool on wire racks.








Whip up a batch of meringue frosting.







Start by placing 1 cake layer, upside down on a cake circle.


Spread frosting over top.


Top with second cake layer.


Spread frosting over sides and top of cake.


Decorate with mini snickerdoodle cookies


I'm pretty sure that I can't take the credit for inventing this delicious cake but I'm still pretty proud of this accomplishment.  (I normally just borrow ideas and recipes from other people.)  This cake is just as tasty as the cupcake version and it's even more grand to look at.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment