Thursday, January 17, 2013

Whole Wheat Potato Rolls



I normally reserve my bread making for spring and summer - taking full advantage of the Georgia humidity. I also had a bad winter bread making experience a few years ago which makes me even more hesitant to make bread in the winter.  I was making a little more than a hundred yeast rolls for an order that I needed to fill in the middle of January a few years ago.  I made my never-fail batch of roll dough and set it on the counter to rise. The dough rose slightly but not nearly to its normal pillowy fullness.  I decided to go ahead and divide my dough into rolls and I set them on the counter to rise. An hour later - nothing - no rise. Two hours later - still no rise. At that point I started to get a little nervous so I brought 2 small humidifiers into the kitchen.  I was trying to pump as much humidity into the air as I possibly could.  Another hour later - my rolls were barely starting to rise so I started to boil pots of water on the stove in a last ditch effort to produce steam. Short of turning my kitchen into a tropical rain forest, I tried EVERYTHING to get some humidity into my kitchen so that these rolls would rise. Unfortunately, this story doesn't have a very happy ending. After 5 hours of waiting for the rolls to rise, I ended up with yeast rolls that were lifeless and flat. My rolls were a disaster and because of that, I'm somewhat hesitant to make bread during the very dry Georgia winters. I saw this recipe in Taste of Home though and I decided to break my no-winter bread rule and give them a shot. Luckily, this story has a much happier ending.

Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted











Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Let sit for 5 minutes.




















Combine sugar, oil, eggs, potato flakes, salt and white flour in mixer.  Beat in yeast until smooth.






Knead in whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.  Place in a greased bowl.
 

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 1/2 hours.





Punch down dough and divide into 28 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball and place 2" apart on silpat lined baking sheets.



Cover with a damp towel and let rise 1 hour.  Look they rose!


Bake 9-11 minutes at 375.







I have renewed confidence that I can make yeast rolls even on the driest of winter days now.  These rolls were really good and they froze well too.




Ciao!


Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Dissolve
yeast in warm water.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Combine sugar, oil, eggs,
potato flakes, salt and white flour in mixer.  Beat in yeast until
smooth.  Knead in whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.  Place in a
greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 1/2 hours.  Punch
down dough and divide into 28 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball and
place 2" apart on silpat lined baking sheets.  Cover with a damp towel
and let rise 1 hour.  Bake 9-11 minutes at 375.

2 comments:

  1. I made my never-fail batch of roll dough and set it on the counter to rise. The dough rose slightly but not nearly to its normal pillowy fullness. I decided to go ahead and divide my dough into rolls and I set them on the counter to rise. humidifier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, This is great information!! thanks.

    humidifier

    ReplyDelete