Saturday, November 10, 2012

Reeses Rice Crispy Treats




I find it fascinating that companies can make food more appealing just by changing its size. My daughter is absolutely mesmerized by the "pound plus" chocolate bars that they sell at Trader Joes. 17.6 ounces of pure, sweet chocolate.  (Can I really blame her?)  Don't get me wrong, chocolate never lost it's appeal for me but somehow, I am more enticed to buy it when it's packaged into a larger than life bar.  







Companies have gone to the other extreme as well, making mini versions of our favorite snacks only to entice us by the smaller size.  (Which usually translates to me eating twice as much.)  The bottom line is that no matter how you package chocolate - I love chocolate. 







When I first discovered the tiny version of the classic Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, I made Reese's cupcakes.  They were unbelievably good. If you haven't checked out that recipe yet - you're missing out. 


The cupcakes were such a success that I decided to work the tiny treats into another classic dessert - Rice Crispy Treats. 


Reese's Rice Crispy Treats
6 cup Rice Crispy cereal
10.5 ounce bag marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
8 ounces mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups








Chop peanut butter cups.













Combine cereal and peanut butter cups in a large bowl.














Melt marshmallows and butter in saucepan over low heat.
















Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal mixture.  Stir to combine.


 










Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and press to make mixture even.














Melt chocoalte and peanut butter in saucepan.







Pour over cereal and let set.  (If you're impatient like me, you can put it in the refrigerator to set in about 30 minutes.)


Remove from pan.



Slice into squares.


These chocolatey-peanut buttery treats are a huge hit with my family.



My mind is already filled with all kinds of ways that I can incorporate these mini Reese's peanut butter cups into desserts.  Stay tuned peanut butter lovers.  You haven't seen the last of these little treats. 

Ciao!



Reese's Rice Crispy Treats
6 cup Rice Crispy cereal
10.5 ounce bag marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
8 ounces mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Chop peanut butter cups.  Combine cereal and peanut butter cups in a large bowl.  Melt marshmallows and butter in saucepan over low heat.  Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal mixture.  Stir to combine.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and press to make mixture even.  Melt chocoalte and peanut butter in saucepan.  Pour over cereal and let set.  (If you're impatient like me, you can put it in the refrigerator to set in about 30 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment