Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies


 
It's pumpkin madness! I've made so many pumpkin recipe lately that I think my family might actually be starting to turn orange. Ben actually suggested that I may have replaced my obsession over watermelon with an obsession over pumpkin.  (What?)

Want to know why I love pumpkin so much? It's nutritious AND delicious. Check out these nutritional facts about 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin:
50 calories
0 fat
0 cholesterol
3 grams of fiber
2 grams of protein
10 grams of sodium
280% Vitamin A
8% Vitamin C
4% Calcium
4% Iron

My latest pumpkin creation came from one of my favorite blogs - bakerella.  She is so talented and it took literally seconds for me to decide to make these cookies after I saw them on her blog.  She has them pictured on her blog with maple brown butter frosting and they look amazing.  I had every intention of recreating her exact recipe but to be perfectly honest, they were so good without the frosting that I decided just to leave it off.  (If you feel like your cookies are missing out on frosting - you can check out her website for her recipe.)



Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 1/4 cup flour  (Bakerella used 2 1/4 cups self rising flour.)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder (Not in Bakerella's recipe)
3/4 teaspoons salt (Not in Bakerella's recipe)
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Whisk together flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.

 
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter.   Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy.


 Add vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.


Add flour/spice mixture to sugar mixture in three additions. Alternate with pumpkin in two additions, ending with flour mixture.


Stir in chopped pecans and chocolate chunks.


Drop on cookie tray lined with a silpat baking mat.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about four dozen cookies.


Let cool.


 I can't believe that I've never made these cookies before.  They are sooooo good.


 
These cookies are extra special.  They make great little Halloween treats for teachers or friends too.  (If you have any leftover.)


 Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment