Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Frosty's


I used to have a big old-fashioned ice cream maker and we used it so much that we completely wore it out within a couple of years. It made the best ice cream.  It had a hand crank that incorporated more air into the cream and that made it really deliciously creamy and fluffy.



The down side was that it took a lot of manual labor, a lot of ice, rock salt and it had to be made outside because it also leaked water.

This is a picture from a family reunion a few years ago.  It was great to have all that help to crank the ice cream.




The ice cream maker came with an electric attachment as well and I the longer I had the ice cream maker, the more I found myself using the electric option as opposed to the hand crank simply for convenience purposes.  When the time came to replace the ice cream maker, I debated about whether to replace it with another hand cranked maker or an electric model.  In the end I opted for a smaller ice cream maker without a hand crank option. (Mainly because the electric ice cream maker was cheaper.)









The downside to this ice cream maker is it's small size.  I can only make about half the amount of ice cream that I could in the old ice cream maker.  The good news is that it freezes about twice as fast.  I don't have to use ice or rock salt in this model and I can plug it, set it on my kitchen counter and I don't have to worry about humidity interfering with my ice cream making. 








To initiate my new ice cream maker I whipped up a batch of Wendy's Frosty's for my family.  This recipe is super simple and it's all over the internet.  I made a 1/2 recipe - to accommodate my smaller ice cream freezer.

Frosty
8 ounces cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 gallon chocolate milk







 Blend ingredients together.









Pour into the ice cream freezer and freeze.  Mine took about an hour to freeze.


Once it was slushy consistency, I poured it into glasses and gave it to my family for the taste test. 


The results - they really liked it.  The truth is that it didn't look and taste exactly like a Frosty - but it was pretty darn close.  

There aren't a lot of things to take pictures of when you're making Frosty's so I decided to take pictures of my family enjoying their Frosty's.



Aren't they cute?

Ciao!



Frosty
8 ounces cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 gallon chocolate milk

1 comment: