Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Watermelon Pops


What do I do when I'm overwhelmed with a bumper crop of juicy, sweet watermelon?  First, I give as many away to neighbors and friends that I possibly can and then I get creative with the rest.  My newest addition to my watermelon recipe collection - watermelon pops.

My inspiration for this recipe came from Giada's Spiked Watermelon Pops.  As delicious as her vodka pops sounded, I opted to turn them into more family friendly watermelon pops instead. 

Watermelon Pops
1/2 watermelon
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves

 Start by cutting the watermelon into cubes and removing seeds.


Combine ingredients in blender and process until smooth.


Pour into Popsicle molds (or cups) and freeze until firm.




My family is officially convinced that I have made absolutely everything that I could possibly make out of a watermelon now.   (I won't tell them about all the watermelon recipes that I still have up my sleeve.)


Here area a few lessons that I learned about watermelon pops:  Lesson #1 - A LITTLE MINT GOES A LONG WAY!








Lesson #2:
Photographing Popsicles in the sun has to be done quickly because it doesn't take long for it to become a sloppy mess.

I had one watermelon pop catastrophe but ... Mia happily cleaned up the mess.





Ciao!


Watermelon Pops
1/2 watermelon, seeded and cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves

Combine ingredients in blender and process until smooth.  Pour into Popsicle molds (or cups) and freeze until firm.








No comments:

Post a Comment