Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Beach week


We spent a week on the beach in North Carolina earlier this month so I thought I would share some of our pictures from our trip with all of you.  Beach week is one of the only times that I make a conscious effort to try and get a good family picture.  There were a lot of laughs during this ocean side photo session - and we ended up with a few good pictures too. 
 




We spent lots of time with our toes in the ocean that week.


I decided to get up really early one morning so that I could catch the early morning sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean   It was well worth the 5:30 wake up call. 


The house that we stayed in on the beach had an amazing view from the front porch:

















and from the back porch.









Ahhh, the beach...



We arrived home on a Friday evening and jumped right back into the swing of things.  There was no time for easing into our hectic schedule, there were ACT tests to be taken and birthday parties to attend.   Saturday morning I headed to the grocery store without any idea of what I intended to cook.  (A rare event for me.)  We had been out of the house for a week so I knew that we needed to replace the things that we used before we left for the beach like milk, bread and produce.  I didn't have time to sit down and create a menu or make a proper grocery list so I decided to "wing it."  I picked up all of the necessary staples and I also got a package of boneless chicken breasts.


When I got home with my groceries and I still didn't have any idea how I was going to prepare the chicken so I logged onto my "go to" website for chicken recipes - WilliamsSonoma.com.  I found a recipe for Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers and I used that as inspiration for my version of these lemony chicken skewers. 

Lemon Chicken Skewers

Ingredients:

  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut
      into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 lemons, sliced into rings and quartered

Directions:

 

 

Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, olive oil and salt and whisk to combine. 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. 

 

 

 

 

Thread chicken onto skewers alternating with lemon slices.  

 

Grill. 

 

The lemons got a little charred on the grill but the chicken was moist and delicious.


I served my quick chicken skewers with fresh green beans and jasmine rice.  The dinner was a big hit. 



It's never easy to come home from vacation to a house with no groceries but this simple chicken dinner made it just a little easier.  Grilled chicken with lemon has never tasted to good.

Ciao!


Lemon Chicken Skewers

Ingredients:

  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut
      into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 lemons, sliced into rings and quartered

Directions:

Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, olive oil and salt and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Thread chicken onto skewers alternating with lemon slices.  Grill.


No comments:

Post a Comment