Friday, April 27, 2012

Pepperoni Bread


I hope that you're not tired of me posting about all of the meals that we eat "on the go".  With soccer and baseball seasons officially ending this week we should be eating more meals at home next month. 

 
I packed another picnic to take to the field last week - this time it was pepperoni rolls and calzones.  This recipe came out of my Cook's Country magazine.  I've experimented with pepperoni bread recipes but never really had great results so I thought this recipe might be just what I needed to get me on the right track to pepperoni greatness.  

Pepperoni Rolls  (I made a 1/2 recipe)

4 sticks pepperoni 
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
6 2/3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
4 teaspoon sesame seeds









Cut pepperoni sticks in half.  Cut each half in quarters.  Slice each quarter into 4 wedges.  (You will have 64 wedges.)  I used mini sticks so I didn't have to cut my pepperoni.















Place pepperoni in a large bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.   Reserve oil.










Combine water, milk and sugar.  Add 3 Tablespoons pepperoni oil.


Combine flour, yeast and salt in mixing bowl.


Add water mixture and knead with dough hook about 8 minutes.  Move dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.

 
Transfer dough to counter and divide into 16 pieces.  Shape each piece into a ball.  Let rest 5 minutes.

 
Toss pepperoni with 1 Tablespoon flour.  Roll each piece of dough into a 4x6 inch rectangle.  Lay 4 pieces of pepperoni along dough.

 
Roll into a tight cylinder.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.















Combine egg and 1 teaspoon of water and brush over rolls.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
































 
Bake 24 minutes at 375. 










 

I drastically underestimated the amount of pepperoni that I would need for these rolls so I turned the rest of my dough into meatball calzones.   I'm not really sure which one my family preferred, pepperoni rolls or meatball calzones.  Both were delicious and both were gone by the end of the game.  

 

Ciao!


Pepperoni Rolls
4 sticks pepperoni
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
6 2/3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
4 teaspoon sesame seeds

Cut pepperoni sticks in half.  Cut each half in quarters.  Slice each quarter into 4 wedges.  (You will have 64 wedges.)  Place pepperoni in a large bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.   Reserve oil.  Combine water, milk and sugar.  Add 3 Tablespoons pepperoni oil.  Combine flour, yeast and salt in mixing bowl.  Add water mixture and knead with dough hook about 8 minutes.  Move dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.  Transfer dough to counter and divide into 16 pieces.  Shape each piece into a ball.  Let rest 5 minutes.  Toss pepperoni with 1 Tablespoon flour.  Roll each piece of dough into a 4x6 inch rectangle.  Lay 4 pieces of pepperoni along dough.  Roll into a tight cylinder.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.  Combine egg and 1 teaspoon of water and brush over rolls.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake 24 minutes at 375. 





No comments:

Post a Comment