Thursday, April 26, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam



I've already made a half dozen trips to the strawberry farm this month.  I just cant' seem to get enough of the juicy red fruit.  This week, I turned some of my berries into Strawberry Jam.  I opted for a simple freezer jam.  It took less than 30 minutes to make 5 jars of jam!









I started by buying freezer jars and pectin at my local Wal Mart store.  I also picked up some super cute labels for my homemade jam.




The jam making process was simple.  I washed the berries, took off the stems and them sliced them in half.



I put them into my food processor and pulsed them.


I ended up with about 3 1/2 cups of pureed fruit.  I stirred together 1 1/4 cups of sugar and 2 packets of instant pectin and then added it to the fruit.  


I stirred the fruit mixture for 2 minutes and voila - jam.   Each recipe was supposed to fill 2 half pint jars but I doubled the recipe and filled 4 3/4 jars. 


The jam will keep in the refrigerator for 30 days and last up to a year in the freezer. 
Do you want to know what I ate with my homemade strawberry jam first?


Homemade English Muffin Bread!  Check out that recipe on yesterday's blog.

It may be strawberry season now but check out the blueberries on the bushes in my backyard.



It won't be long before we're picking blueberries!

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment