Thursday, February 16, 2012

Undercover Cauliflower

I decided to pull a swap on my family this week and I switched our usual mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower - just to get their reaction.  I may have lost their trust in my cooking forever. 

I bought a head of cauliflower at the grocery store.


I cut it up into large florets.


I put the cut cauliflower into a steamer basket in a large saucepan.


 I put a lid on the pan and steamed the cauliflower for about 10 minutes.


I mashed the cauliflower with a 1/2 Tablespoon of butter, a pinch of salt and a Tablespoon of skim milk.


I served the mashed cauliflower with some grilled pork chops, a side of fresh green beans and a yeast roll.  Once the table was set, I called my family to dinner and then I sat back and waited for everyone's reaction to the "potatoes."  My daughter who was super excited that we were having "mashed potatoes" showed instant signs of disappointment when she tasted the cauliflower.  She made a great attempt at trying to disguise her dislike to protect my feelings though.  She asked repeatedly if they were grits and I assured her that they were NOT grits.  My husband was way more skeptical of the "potatoes" from the beginning.  I don't think he knew for sure what they were but he was pretty sure that they were not potatoes and he didn't put any on his dinner plate.  I finally gave in and announced that it was actually mashed cauliflower and that definitely didn't help my case.  It took some major convincing to get him to try them and I can tell you that he wasn't a fan.  My son came to dinner late so I had one last chance to turn someone in my family into a mashed cauliflower lover.  I made my husband and daughter promise not to tell him the secret until after he had tasted it.  My son asked if the "potatoes" were homemade and he said that he really liked them!  I was thrilled that my mashed cauliflower had won over 1 out of 3 of my family members.  Unfortunately my victory was short lived because once his sister revealed that it was cauliflower, he was turned off.  (Maybe I shouldn't have chosen the day that my son had surgery to correct his cauliflower ear to make mashed cauliflower.)  Too much talk about cauliflower for one day I guess.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment