Monday, February 27, 2012

Packable Peanut Butter

It goes without saying that weekends at our house are anything but relaxing.  We have two active teenagers - need I say more?   I was hoping that our schedule would open up a little once wrestling season ended.  Quite the opposite has proved to be true, now that we've transitioned from wrestling meets to baseball and soccer games, our schedule just got even a little more chaotic. 

Baseball and soccer tournaments and games have absolutely consumed our Spring schedule this year. That means that other things on my usual "to do list" are going to get neglected.   My house won't always be dusted, my yard is going to have a few more weeds and my car will definitely not be washed until after the season.  (Do those things really matter anyway?) 

Both of my kids are natural athletes (A trait that they inherited from their father.) and it's a joy to watch them on the field - in their element.  I'm really going to miss it when we don't have anymore meets or games to attend.  For now, I'll just be thankful that they're healthy teenagers who love sports.  And if it means sacrificing my time to go and cheer them on, it's totally worth it.  I can't think of anything better to do with myself or any better way to support my kids. 


We may not be home much over then next couple of months to eat our meals at the kitchen table, but that doesn't mean that I stop cooking.  Spring sports season means that we eat packable meals at the field a lot of the time.  This week marks the start of baseball and soccer season so I made a batch of Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies to take to the first games.        

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Cookies                                         Filling
1 1/4 cups peanuts                        3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup flour                                 3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon baking soda                1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons whole milk (I used 2%)
1 egg

Pulse peanuts in food process until finely chopped.


Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.


Whisk butter, peanut butter, sugars, milk and egg.


Stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture with rubber spatula.


Stir in peanuts.

 
Using a cookie scoop, place scoops of dough on silpat lined baking sheets.


Bake 18 minutes at 350 or until golden brown and firm to the touch.  Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes.  Transfer to racks to cool completely.

 
Microwave peanut butter and butter for 40 seconds.  Stir in powdered sugar with a rubber scraper.


Place 1 scoop of filling on the bottom of a cookie and top with another cookie.



 Gently press cookie until filling spreads to the edges. 


 









These are the cookies that I packaged to give as a thank you gift.












This recipe came from the March/April issue of Cook's Illustrated.  These cookies are a big contrast to the traditional peanut butter cookies that I usually make.  They're thin and crispy and loaded with peanuts.  The smooth, buttery filling really makes these cookies extra special.  After sampling the cookies, I couldn't help but think that the only thing that could make these any better would be a little chocolate.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after I had made the filling that there was also a milk chocolate version of the filling that can be substituted for the peanut butter filling!  I definitely foresee another batch of these yummy treats in my near future - and next time with chocolate filling. 

These cookies were amazing but don't take my word for it - make a batch for yourself.

Ciao!

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Cookies                                         Filling
1 1/4 cups peanuts                        3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup flour                                 3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon baking soda                1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons whole milk (I used 2%)
1 egg

Pulse peanuts in food process until finely chopped.  Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  Whisk butter, peanut butter, sugars, milk and egg.  Stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture with rubber spatula.  Stir in peanuts.  Using a cookie scoop, place scoops of dough on silpat lined baking sheets.  Bake 18 minutes at 350 or until golden brown and firm to the touch.  Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes.  Transfer to racks to cool completely.  Microwave peanut butter and butter for 40 seconds.  Stir in powdered sugar with a rubber scraper.  Place 1 scoop of filling on the bottom of a cookie and top with another cookie.  Gently press cookie until filling spreads to the edges. 


No comments:

Post a Comment