Wednesday, February 8, 2012

No magic necessary


I've heard these dessert squares called all sorts of things: 7 layer bars, magic bars, triple layer bars.  I call mine magic bars because my cookies only 5 layers.  (I did some research and I found out that traditional seven layer bars have butterscotch and white chocolate chips to make the 6th and 7th layers.)  No matter what you call these little cookies, they're easy to make and really delicious.

Magic Bars
½ cup butter, melted                                        1 package graham crackers   
1 can sweetened condensed milk                2 cup chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups coconut                                               1 cup walnuts

Melt butter in 9x13 in oven.


Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top of butter.


Pour condensed milk over crumbs.


Layer coconut on top.


 Sprinkle nuts over coconut.


 Sprinkle chocolate over nuts.


Bake 25 minutes at 350.


I baked my magic bars in disposable pans so that I could transport them to the school for a party.  Once the cookies cool, slice them into squares or bars.


If you're a fan of chocolate and coconut and nuts, you will love these cookies. 

By the way this recipe is for my friend Julie.  Happy baking girl.
Ciao!

Magic Bars
½ cup butter, melted                                        1 package graham crackers   
1 can sweetened condensed milk               2 cup chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups coconut                                              1 cup walnuts

Melt butter in 9x13.  Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top.  Pour condensed milk over crumbs.  Layer remaining ingredients.  Coconut, Nuts and then Chocolate.  Bake 25 minutes at 350.

4 comments:

  1. I did the magic bars with 1/4 cup of butter, 1 cup of crumbs and almost half of the other ingredients
    except the condensed milk in a 8x8 pan and it was delicious. I keep the squares in the fridge in an air tight container
    for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good to know. I'm always looking for ways to cut the fat and sugar in recipes without changing the flavor. I will definately be making these again with your modifications. Thanks for the tip and thanks for stopping by the blog.
      Amy

      Delete
  2. Do you have other recipe eggless and gluten free? The magic bars are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have published some eggless recipes like the blueberry dumpster cake (http://mystoryinrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/04/blueberry-dumpster-cobbler.html) and chocolate avocado cookies ( http://mystoryinrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/08/avocado-chocolate-cookies.html). I've also blogged some gluten free like the pumpkin magic bars (http://mystoryinrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/10/pumpkin-magic-bars.html) but I don't think that I've ever blogged a recipe that was egg free and gluten free. That is a great idea and I will be doing some research on that. Check back on the blog soon for some egg free gluten free options. Thanks for the tip. Amy

      Delete