Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chicken Bundles

I love rotisserie chicken and I could probably come up with 101 different ways to eat it.  I had some leftover rotisserie chicken in my refrigerator that I had bought for our southwest chicken Stromboli last week so I turned it into chicken bundles for dinner last night.  I also had some Rhodes frozen dinner rolls that were taking up valuable freezer space so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone last night.


(I modified the original recipe slightly to suit my family's tastes.)

Chicken Swiss Bundles
1/2 onion, chopped                                 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped                 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic                                          1/4 teaspoon basil
1 cup cubed cooked chicken                   1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon honey Dijon mustard         2 cups shredded swiss cheese
12 frozen dinner rolls

Defrost frozen rolls on a baking sheet.
 

Saute onion, mushroom and garlic in skillet until tender.


Add chicken, peppers, mustard and spices.  Heat through.


Flatten each roll into a 5” circle.


 Top with 2 T. chicken mixture.


Sprinkle with cheese.  (I used Monterrey jack instead of swiss.)


Fold in half.


Bake 18 minutes at 350.



 I served my chicken bundles with English peas and fresh pineapple.


I also like to make these bundles when we have to eat dinner at a soccer or baseball game.  I wrap the bundles in waxed paper and pack them in a cooler.  With busy baseball and soccer schedules, dinners on the road are going to be the name of the game this spring so I've started gathering my meals that pack and travel well already.  These also freeze well so I am going to toss the extras in the freezer for another game night. 

Ciao!

Chicken Swiss Bundles
1/2 onion, chopped                                 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped                 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic                                          1/4 teaspoon basil
1 cup cubed cooked chicken                   1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon honey Dijon mustard        2 cups shredded swiss cheese
12 frozen bread dough dinner rolls

Defrost rolls.  Saute onion, mushroom and garlic in skillet until tender.  Add chicken, peppers, mustard and spices.  Heat through.  Flatten each roll into a 5” circle.  Top with 2 T. chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese.  Fold in half.  Bake 18 minutes at 350. 

No comments:

Post a Comment