Thursday, January 12, 2012

What's in a name?


I found a recipe for Nanaimo bars in a Taste of Home magazine from May of 2011.  The recipe caught my attention - not because of the ingredients - but because of the name.  (Yes, I know it's weird that I choose recipes based on the complexity of their name.)  I sat staring at the magazine for at least 5 minutes trying to sound the name out phonetically and I still don't think that I have the right pronunciation.  Eventually I decided to read through the recipe for any clues as to how to properly say the name of the cookie and I discovered that it was a pretty interesting recipe after all.  The chocolaty, nutty, graham cracker crust caught my eye so I added it to my list of new cookies to try.  (Even though I still can't pronounce the name of this Canadian cookie.)  If you have any clue as to how to say "Nanaimo" properly - please email me.  I will sleep better at night when I've solved the mystery of this cookie name.


Drizzled Nanaimo Bars
1 cup butter                                                   Filling
1/2 cup sugar                                                1/2 cup butter, softened
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate              3 Tablespoons 2% milk
2 eggs, beaten                                               2 T. instant vanilla pudding
4 cups graham cracker crumbs                 2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups flaked coconut   
1 cup chopped walnuts                                Glaze
                                                                         8 ounces semisweet chocolate
                                                                         1 Tablespoon butter


In heavy saucepan combine butter, sugar and chocolate.  Cook on low until melted.



Whisk a small amount of hot chocolate mixture into beaten eggs.





Return eggs to pan, whisking constantly.  Cook and stir over low heat until temperature reaches 160.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla. 

















In another bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut and walnuts.


Stir in chocolate mixture.


 Press into a greased 10x15” pan.  Refrigerate 30 minutes.


For topping beat butter, milk and pudding together in mixing bowl.


Beat in powdered sugar. 


Spread over crust.


 In microwave, melt chocolate and butter.  Stir until smooth.  Drizzle over filling.  Refrigerate until set.


My only criticism of the cookies is they were a little crumbly.  That certainly didn't stop us from eating them though.  They were really good.

Bon Appetit! 















2 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd jump in to help clear up the mystery for you:

    It's pronounced NA-NII-moe :-) These have been a holiday must-have in this Canadian family for generations ;-)

    Great job with your blog - I've really enjoyed reading your recipe ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pronunciation. I feel much more confindent in making them now that I can tell people what they're called. Thanks for reading the blog too. I love to hear from my followers.

    ReplyDelete