Monday, January 2, 2012

Applesauce

 

I think I may have overestimated the number of apples that we needed when we were in the apple orchard last October.  I must have gotten caught up in the excitement of picking and forgotten that there are only 4 apple eaters in our house.  When we got down to just a few apples left in the fruit basket and they started to look a little wrinkled, I decided it was time to use them up.  I thought about making an apple pie but I had a lot of other baking projects on my plate so I opted for the easier applesauce recipe instead.


We picked Rome Beauty apples this year which are perfect for applesauce.  (They break down nicely.)
I peeled and sliced my apples and took out all of the imperfections. 


I had a bigger bowl of apples than I thought I would when I was finished.


I put my apples into a pot and added some cinnamon and sugar.  (I didn't measure these out but I would guess about 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.)


I put a lid on my pot and simmered the apples on low for about 3 hours.  The smell of apples and cinnamon lofting through the house was heavenly.


The apples really cooked down nicely.


I served some of the applesauce with dinner and it was a big hit.  Homemade applesauce is one of my families favorite things.  The leftover applesauce, I put into a tupperware container and put into the freezer to save for later. 


Homemade applesauce is a great way to get another serving of fruit in your kids.  Get the kids involved in the peeling and chopping and they will be much more likely to take ownership of the applesauce and eat it.  Homemade applesauce will be a hit with your family - trust me.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment