Saturday, December 3, 2011

An Army of Men


One afternoon recently, I started making gingerbread man cookies and before I knew it, I had baked an entire army of gingerbread men.  (275 to be exact.)  The house smelled absolutely delightful.

This is what my counter looked like as I prepped all the ingredients for 4 batches of gingerbread cookies.



Gingerbread Cookies
½ cup butter                            1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar                 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 eggs                                         2 teaspoons ginger
¾ cup molasses                       ½ teaspoon allspice
4 ½ cups flour







Cream butter and sugar.











Beat in molasses.











  Add eggs, one at a time.















Add dry ingredients.







Roll out and cut with cookie cutters.







Bake 10 – 12 minutes at 350.

By the time I had finished, I had filled the kitchen table with men - then I started lining them up on the island. 


 
Baking the cookies turned out to be the easiest part of the task.  Once I started decorating the gingerbread men, I realized that I was going to have to call in some reinforcements.  Lucky for me, I had some willing assistants to take over the decorating when my hand started to hurt from holding the icing bag.



We started out decorating them all the same and as time went on we got more creative.

At the end of the day we decorated about 20 dozen cookies.  I don't know if I've ever seen my table so full of cookies.

That is what I call a successful day of baking.
Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment