Friday, November 11, 2011

Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin


Last night we had the most excellent pork tenderloin for dinner with a side of broccoli and cheese.   I put a dry rub on the tenderloin and cooked it on the Big Green Egg  - perfection.
 
Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
1 Tablespoon sugar                        ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
1 Tablespoon chili powder            ¼ teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt                               2 pounds pork tenderloin

Combine all ingredients, except tenderloin.
Rub over tenderloin.  Place in baking dish and cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.  
I lit the Egg and got the temperature up to about 350.  I cooked the tenderloin for 45 minutes, turning as needed.

The pork looked absolutely beautiful when I pulled it off the Egg.  I was hoping that it was going to taste as good as it looked. 


I covered it with foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes.  I sliced it and served it and I am happy to report that it did not disappoint.  The tenderloin was tender and juicy with a nice smoky flavor from the rub.  I love this rub recipe - it's the perfect combination of sweet and salty and spicy.   


I will admit that I struggle to come up with side dishes on most nights.  I tend to get stuck in a vegetable rut and I end up making the same ones over and over again.  When Green Giant offered to send me a coupon for a free bag of frozen vegetables as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, I jumped at the chance.  I know the importance of making vegetables a part of our daily diet so I am always looking for new ways to incorporate more of them into our meals. 

I was impressed at the variety of Green Giant vegetables at my local supermarket.  I had a hard time deciding which variety to choose.  I finally settled on broccoli and cheese which is a family favorite. 
I love the new steamer bags.  The vegetables that I chose already had the cheese sauce in the bag so I simply put it in the microwave for 5 minutes.  
This may have been the easiest side dish I've ever made.  The vegetables were nice and crisp and the cheese sauce really helped to enticed my family to eat more vegetables.  With only 45 calories per serving, I feel like this was a healthy way to get more vegetables onto our plates. 


There is really no good reason not to include vegetables with our meals when Green Giant has made them this easy - and delicious.   Give them a try.

Bon Appetit!







No comments:

Post a Comment