Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spiders have taken over the blog


With Halloween less than a week away, I thought I would post some pictures of past Halloween's at our house.  This is a picture of my son on his very first Halloween.  We were living on Hill Air Force Base in Utah.  I made this dinosaur costume for him so that he could help me pass out candy to all of the trick or treaters.  

I had a couple of cake orders to fill last week and I also needed to make a batch of cupcakes.  I made 3 smore cakes and a batch of smore cupcakes.  I didn't really have a good plan for decorating my cupcakes before I started which is usually a recipe for disaster.


I tinted the marshmallow meringue frosting orange and then frosted the cupcakes.  My original idea was to turn them into pumpkins.



They cupcakes still looked like they were lacking a little something and I couldn't really come up with a good way to make them look more like pumpkins so I decided to decorate them with spiders.  I used Hershey's drops for the bodies and I found some candy eyeballs in my pantry - yea. 









I melted some chocolate chips, put them in a ziploc baggie and snipped of a corner of the bag. I piped little legs on each spider and then used drops of chocolate to secure the eyes to the body. 








They didn't turn out exactly like I had pictured them in my mind but they were pretty cute anyway.  





If you're looking for something a little less sweet to balance out the sugary snacks, try a batch of these peanut butter spiders.  I had my daughter help me make these - it's a great project for kids. 


The directions are really simple:
Spread peanut butter on a round butter cracker.
Break 3 pretzel sticks in half and place on peanut butter for legs.
Top with another cracker.
Add eyes with a drop of melted chocolate.
        I used mini reese's pieces because that is what I had on hand.  You could also use raisins or mini chocolate chips.



 These spiders make a great after school snack - even for teenagers.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment