Sunday, October 2, 2011

Comfort Food







A couple of weeks ago, I played a game on 104.7 the Fish and I won 2 tickets to the Make Your Move concert with Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman, Tenth Avenue North and Trevor Morgan.  How cool is that?




The kids were bummed that there were only 2 tickets but it was nice to get away with Ben for the evening. 


Last night was the concert and it was awesome.  We had a great time. 
Now onto the recipe of the day:


There is something about the cooler Fall weather that makes me want to sit down and enjoy my favorite comfort foods.  Both of my kids absolutely love macaroni and cheese and they ask for it often.  Since I am not a fan of the boxed macaroni and cheese, I usually make my own homemade version.  Even though the kids enjoy my homemade version, I can't help but notice the slightest hint of  disappointment in their faces when I served it instead of the boxed macaroni and cheese.  My mom introduced me to a new recipe for macaroni and cheese this summer and my kids actually said it was BETTER than the boxed macaroni and cheese!  It's made with fresh wholesome ingredients and, it can be made in advance.  I've swapped my old macaroni and cheese recipe with this new one - for good. Thanks, Mom.

Make-ahead creamy macaroni and cheese
6 tablespoons butter
1 pound elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 cups shredded Colby cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook pasta over high heat for 3 minutes. Drain but don't rinse. Spread pasta on a baking sheet to cool. Heat butter, flour, mustard and cayenne in saucepan for 2 minutes. Stir constantly. Slowly whisk in broth and cream.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in cheeses, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir drained pasta into sauce and mix well.

Divide between 3 4x6" containers. (or 2 8" square baking dishes) cool to room temperature. Wrap with plastic wrap and then cover with foil. Refrigerate or freeze for up to 2 months.








When ready to serve, remove plastic wrap and cover thawed macaroni and cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375. Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes.

My mom copied this recipe for me out of a Cook's Country magazine. When she made it for my kids this summer they couldn't seem to get enough of it.   The original recipe had a crunchy, buttery garlicky topping but I chose to leave it out. Since I divided my recipe into thirds, I put 2 pans in my freezer to save for another day. 

I served the macaroni and cheese along with some grilled chicken and apple sausages.  Everyone really liked it.  I hope that you enjoy some of your favorite comfort foods this weekend too.  Stay warm. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment