Saturday, October 15, 2011

Asparagus makeover



I had a request to add more side dish recipes to my blog so here is my favorite asparagus recipe.

I love asparagus but I am pretty much the only person in my house who will eat it.

Most of the time, I drizzle it with olive oil and roast it on the grill or in the oven for a few minutes.  I like my asparagus simple.




If I want to dress it up a little, I make asparagus gratin.  I served this dish to my friends along with the glazed roast chicken last Saturday. 

Asparagus Gratin
2 pounds thin asparagus       
2 Tablespoon flour
2 1/2 cups water           
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons butter           
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese





Trim 1 1/2” from ends of asparagus.  Bring water to a boil in skillet.  Add asparagus ends and 1/4. t. salt.  Cook, covered for 5 min.





Remove asparagus ends and add asparagus to skillet.











Cover and cook 2-4 min.










Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Pour asparagus liquid into measuring cup and reserve 1 cup.










Melt butter in skillet and add flour.

Cook 1 min.  Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 min. until thickened.  Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 c. Parmesan and monterey jack.






Cover and let stand 5 min.  Place asparagus in baking dish and drizzle with sauce and top with remaining cheese.  Broil 6 min. until browned.

Okay, confession time - I took all of these pictures of the process of making the asparagus gratin and I FORGOT to take a picture of the finished product.  (Sometimes, I don't know what I'm thinking.)  So sorry.  You will have to imagine that the cheese gets nice and browned on top to make it look like it's a really rich and creamy gratin.  Truth is, it doesn't have the calories and fat that most gratin recipes do.  If you're a fan of asparagus, this is a great way to eat it.


Last night was homecoming. Unfortunately the football team lost but it didn't seem to put a damper on the school spirit from these two. 

Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment