Sunday, September 4, 2011

There's a change in the air


Maybe it was wishful thinking but today I felt like there was the slightest hint of Fall in the air.  As much as I love summer, now that it's September, I'm ready for some cooler Fall weather.  One of my favorite Fall activities is working in my yard.  I had big plans for some of the flower beds in my yard and today was a perfect day to get started.  Weather forecasters are predicting rain for Georgia for the next couple of days - thanks tropical storm Lee.  Since water is at a premium in Georgia, we decided to take full advantage of the weather and move our plants before the rain moves in this afternoon to do some watering for us. 

I haven't take pictures of my newly designed flower beds yet - I am waiting until I can get a layer of fresh mulch spread to make them look even better.   In the meantime, here are some of the flowers that are blooming in my yard now. 
  


I was having so much fun in the yard today that time got away from me and I don't have a lot of time to get dinner ready.  Luckily, tonight's dinner was quick and easy and ready in no time.  I adapted this recipe for Grilled Salmon with Almond Vinaigrette from the 2009 May/June issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine.  It was super simple and really tasty. 


Grilled Salmon with Almond Vinaigrette
4 salmon filets (I used frozen Silverbrite salmon filets.)
vegetable oil
salt and pepper

Vinaigrette
1/3 cup toasted almonds
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon fresh thyme

Dip a wad of paper towels into vegetable oil, holding towels with tongs and wipe grate. Continue to wipe with oiled towels until grate is black and glossy.  Season fish with salt and pepper.  Place fish, skin side down on grate and cook 3-5 minutes.  Flip fish over and cook on the second side for 2-5 minutes.
Chop almonds.  Add honey, mustard and vinegar to almonds.  Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil until emulsion forms.  Add water and thyme.  Serve vinaigrette over fish.

My husband and I finished every last bite of our salmon.   It was so delicious.














Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment